banner

Gordon Hotel Ruins

Submitted by Rita Thompson; Historical Information from Jerry Anderson Harlow

Gordon House Hotel

The Gordon House Hotel was built ca. 1880. It was a "civic" project with money coming from investors. A balcony was added in 1895 across the front of the Gordon House Hotel to the second floor and used as a sitting porch and a sun porch. (source: Helen Mattox Crawford) The first floor--street entrance would be occupied by various stores and businesses, some of whom were cotton samplers, barber shops (probably owned by blacks), grocers, and even the newspaper, The Aberdeen Weekly. It was destroyed by fire Dec. 24, 1904. It was located on the lot on East Commerce next to the vacant lot that later became the Lann & Carter Hardware three story building.

 


Back
         http://monroe.msghn.org/
Copyright © 2017. All rights reserved
Individual submissions remain the intellectual property of their creator.

Monroe County, Mississippi Genealogy & History Network
Hosted by , and , Co-County Directors.
Last Modified on: Saturday, 11-Dec-2010 07:51:37 MST

The Mississippi Genealogy & History Network
is managed by the MSGHN Executive Council.